Wednesday, October 24, 2012

God of Love

I think all of us would agree that if God exists, we would prefer that he/she/it to be a God of love.  I mean really, who wants a hateful, jealous God?  Well, maybe some of our social conservative politicians worship a hateful God.

(credit: http://memegenerator.net/Vengeful-God)
Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said:
I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.
Did you catch that? <dripping sarcasm>God wanted you to get raped so you could create that little baby that will forever remind you that you were raped. Now that's a loving God!</dripping sarcasm>. But then what does he really mean? Because his first statement is not very ambiguous.

In a mad attempt to recant his words Mourdock said:
God creates life, and that was my point. God does not want rape, and by no means was I suggesting that he does. Rape is a horrible thing, and for anyone to twist my words otherwise is absurd and sick.
Only later when he opens his mouth a third time do we see what is really going on. He has no idea how biology really works:
I believe God controls the universe. I don't believe biology works in an uncontrolled fashion.
Oh, so what he is saying that while God doesn't want the rape, God DOES think that starting a new life as a result of the rape is a good idea and as a result coerces biology to work in a "controlled fashion."

If abortion is only okay in cases where the mother's life is threatened, we are looking at choosing between two lives.  But in the case of abortion because of a rape, the mother (and likely the child) will be permanently, emotionally scarred.  Is that better or worse than aborting the pregnancy? It should be pretty clear by now that I would vote to allow abortion in the case of rape, incest, mother peril, etc.

If Mourdock can put words into God's mouth to say that God intended the rape-induced pregnancy to happen, I think I can put words into God's mouth to say that God is much more interested in the woman's mental well-being and happiness than the rape-induced life of a fetus.

Yes, life is a gift. We should cherish it. Some would debate whether it is from God or not. But would you EVER wish the gift of a rape-induced pregnancy on anyone you love? Do you worship a God who intends this atrocity to happen? Please say, "No!"

No comments:

Post a Comment